Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bonn, Germany

I mentioned earlier that I didn't have time for the Rhine river cruise. I opted to take a day trip to Bonn instead. Bonn (population 305,000) was a very pedestrian friendly city. The main attraction here is Beethoven!

This is the house where Beethoven was born and raised.
Unfortunately, they had a very strict no cameras allowed policy! This was a great visit. I was able to see two of the pianos he played, as well as some of his violins and other string and wind instruments. They also had some of the hearing aids he used (remarkable that he was able to compose such beautiful music despite this fact), original sheet music, his writing desk, and other personal effects. They even had two lockes of his hair! Sounds creepy, but it was tradition to do that back then. Who knows, maybe it still is?

This was another neat fountain near the Beethoven house. O.C. Tanner would have loved it! After the Beethoven house, I spent the rest of the day wandering around and just getting "lost". I walked along the Rhine and came upon the university. This used to be an 18th century palace and now serves over 40,000 students.
Main entrance to the university.

I wandered the halls to check out what the classrooms were like. How would you like to have this guy guarding your room?

No comments: