Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Where in the world is Patrick

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to update the blog...been without access to a computer for a couple of weeks. When I do have access, I am unable to use my jump drive to upload pics...uggh! I have pictures from Belgium, Holland, and Germany ready, just need the technology heehee. Right now I am in Trier, Germany.

I spent today doing a self guided walking tour. Did you know that Trier is the oldest town in Germany? I saw one of the oldest stone houses in Germany (House of the Three Magi from 1200s), the Electoral Palace and gardens, the former throne room of Emperor Constantine (the largest surviving single room in antiquity, built around 310!), my most favorite cathedral so far in Europe (sorry Spain!), some Roman baths and ruins, and a Roman bridge from 17 B.C. that is still functioning. I also passed by the house where Karl Marx was born and raised.

Before coming to Trier I spent the weekend in Luxembourg. I've always wanted to go to Luxembourg; not sure why...I knew nothing about the place! I guess the name just sounded cool the way it rolls off your tongue...L-U-X-E-M-B-O-U-R-G!!! Well, this was the city I was most looking forward to visiting during this trip and I was not disappointed. It was their national holiday, to celebrate the Duke's official (not his real) birthday. These people know how to throw one hell of a party!

Three days of food (YUMMY), friends (I met some cool people from Italy, Scotland, and Korea), music (Grammy winner Patti Austin performed a tribte to George Gershwin and the Luxembourg Philharmonic performed songs from every James Bond movie, there was also a different stage on evey block where bands and DJs performed), more food (Luxringers, Metwurst, Kaisse, Pomme Frittes, churros with chocolcate sauce....), drinking (I'm getting a beer belly), dancing (til 4 am in the streets with 100,000 other people), fireworks (dare I say...was better than the 2002 Olympics!), carnivals (cotton candy anyone?), parades (my first royal sighting!) ...they go all out. There was even a 101 canon salute the next day.

Just picture Times Square and Vegas at New Years and multiply it by 100! One of the funnest memories was watching this cute septegenarian (at least) couple getting their groove on to AC/DC and Mika! It was so tender. I love Luxembourg!

Well, I am looking forward to sharing all of the pictures with you. I will also tell you more about Cologne and Bonn when I upload those pics.

I head to Frankfort and Heidelberg tomorrow and then fly back to Brussels (gotta load up on chocolate, waffles, and other fine desserts) for a few hours before returning to Spain on Saturday. From there, I am meeting Tim and maybe a few other Utah peeps. We are renting a car and heading up to Pamplona for the running of the bulls! On the way up we are going to see some castles you can't get to via bus or train, head to the beaches of San Sebastian, and then end up in Bilbao to check out the Guggenheim.

After that, it's off to Budapest, Prague, Bratislava, and Vienna!

I've passed the halfway mark this week for my trip. Whew. Looking back, I wouldn't take this long of a trip, but since I am here I am enjoying every minute and remembering to rest and take it easy some days.

Love and Miss you all!

THE Patrick
aka
P.J.

----Pictures and Videos Coming Soon (I HOPE)----

No comments: