Thursday, July 5, 2007

CASTLEMANIA! HAPPY B-DAY AMERICA!

Well, I am back in Spain. Caught an early flight from Frankfurt to Brussels, where I had a connecting flight back to Spain. Because I had been to Brussels only a few weeks prior, I felt comfortable storing my luggage at the train station and killing six hours around town before my flight. I stocked up on chocolate again and then people watched in the Grote Markt. Have you ever had FRESH chocolate? I mean FRESH...like less than 30 minutes old!

I flew into Valladolid, Spain, which is about 2 hours north of Madrid via bus. From there I met up with Tim again. The U of U study abroad program at the University of Oviedo ended and he bid his students farewell. We stayed the night in Valladolid and explored. Here you will find the house where King Felipe II was born. This is also where Colombus reported back to Isabel and Ferdinand on his findings from the new world, and where Miguel de Cervantes wrote most of Don Quixote.

The next day it was off to Madrid! We met our friend Marc for breakfast. Marc, who is also from Salt Lake, has been studying in Madrid for the last year! After breakfast we picked up our rental car for what I am calling Castlepalooza or Castlemania! Our goal was to visit 10 or so castles in central/northeast Spain which you can't access via bus or train (at least not in the time we alloteed)!

We worked our way from Madrid to Soria, Soria to Logrono, Logrono to San Sebastian, with small towns in between. We are in San Sebastian (Basque country!) right now just chilling on the beaches. This is definately a resort town. Everyone I've heard has been english speaking and stereotypical tourist!

Well, we're taking some downtime as tomorrow it's off to Pamplona for the festival of San Fermin! You might know this better as the running of the bulls!!! Don't worry, mom, we won't actually run! Although I would like to get as close as possible!!!

I hope to post pics soon from Frankfurt, Heidelberg, and of course Castlemania!

P.S.
Our rental car is a brand new VW Golf TDI. Really fun and sporty to drive. If you know me well, you aren't surprised that I've already scratched one of the rims! Uggh. How much is that gonna cost me???

----PICS COMING SOON----

2 comments:

Squirrel said...

Patrick! Your blog is so fun to read...and the pictures are great. You are really making the most of your time in Europe. If I was on that trip, I would probably spend every day looking at plants and finding the next place to eat. :) Congratulations on your degree...stay safe!

Angela Downs

Squirrel said...

Patrick! Your blog is so fun to read...and the pictures are great. You are really making the most of your time in Europe. If I was on that trip, I would probably spend every day looking at plants and finding the next place to eat. :) Congratulations on your degree...stay safe!

Angela Downs