Saturday, September 29, 2007

HEIDELBERG

I took a daytrip from Frankfurt to Heidelberg. It was about 45 minutes by train. Known for its crumbling castle, Heidelberg is a town that has attracted many writers and philosophers over the years. From Goethe to Twain, to tourists galore, this prestigious University town proved just why it remains as a top spot to visit in Germany.

Check it out:
Construction began during the 14th century and it barely survived destruction during 2 wars in 1622 and 1693.

One of the many statues that flank the exterior.

Did you know that the basement of the castle is home to the worlds largest wine cask ever used? I tried taking pictures of it but it was too dark! Oh well.

On the way up to the castle I took a hike in the forest. It was very serene.

This is the view from the castle. Looks like a Christmas village doesn't it! Reminds me of a lot of the homes on South Temple in Salt Lake.

The path not taken! I took the Philosophenweg (Philosopher's Path) to trace the same steps that Goethe, Junger, and Feuerbach took. It was such a nice trail; I felt enlightened!

View of Heidelberg from the Philosophenweg.

I wanted to explore what was at the top of these stairs but the gate was locked!

I hiked back to town and decided to check out the university. Heidelberg is home to Germany's oldest and prestigious university. Over 20 Nobel laureates have been part of the faculty and it is said that the university launched the field of sociology! I was surprised by the urbal feel of this campus. It was so integrated to the rest of the city I wasn't sure if I was on campus or just in town!
This is one of the many bas relief scultpures on a university building known as the "Witches Building".
She doesn't look like a witch to me! I'm sure Madonna saw this building during the late 80s, early 90s!
From 1712 to 1914, the Karzer (student's dungeon) served as a prison for students of Heidelberg University. The administration had full legal sovereignty, even if offenses were committed off campus. To kill time, many "prisoners" carved their names on tables or drew funny pictures or wrote silly poems on the walls.
One of the five rooms where prisoners were kept. They were starved on bread and water the first two days and then after that outside food was allowed in. The student prisoners were allowed to follow lectures from their cells and alcohol WAS permitted. Leave it to the Germans!
This was one of the student prisoners!
Well, Heidelberg was such a magical place and these few pictures do not even begin to tell the story of the fantastic time I had. If you can, I would definately recommend this place.

Goodbye Heidelberg!
That is it for Germany. In the coming weeks I hope to share the 2nd half of my trip. I will take you through some of the coolest castles of Spain, the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the running of the bulls in Pamplona, and the beaches of San Sebastian. From there it is off to Eastern Europe where I will show you the brilliance of Budapest, the magic of Prague, and the elegance that is Vienna. After that, we'll get a bit exotic in Istanbul, relax in Switzerland, and then head to Italy to bask in the Tuscan Sun and see Rome at its heart. We'll check out the fashion in Milan, the leanings of Pisa, and the fairy tales of Venice....all before heading to the U.K. to have high tea with the Queen! Okay, I made that last part up, but we will be going to the U.K. during the last part of this blogcation!

---Next stop: Valladolid, SPAIN! ---

No comments: