Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I LOVE BELGIUM *UPDATED W/ PICS*

I wonder if he' gonna eat them both...I WOULD!!!
Everyone (including me obviously) was eyeing those waffles!


Part of the Town Hall in the Grote Markt of Brussels




The famous Mannekin Pis! He was barely two feet tall!!!
He's supposed to symbolize the Belgians' philosophy of live and let live.


Another fun door! How many door pics does this make? I've lost count.




Such amazing detail in each building.









Legend has it if you rub this statue it will bring you good luck! I waited over 15 minutes to get a pic without anyone rubbing it. Afterwards, I rubbed his nipples (everyone rubs the arms)!!! Some Japanese tourists started laughing at me and then joined in the Brussels nipplegate!!!

This was one of the first covered malls and has been used as a model for other malls around Europe. I later saw one in Amsterdam.

I always wanted to open a restaurant!


This is the very 1st Godiva store in the world!!!
This is the Atomium. Designed by André Waterkeyn for the International Exhibition of Brussels in 1958, the structure symbolizesa crystal molecule of metal by the scale of its atoms, magnified 165 billion times!

Inside one of the molecules!


The building is almost 335 feet tall and most of it you have to climb via stairs!

There is an escalator that takes you up part of the way though. It feels like you are in a spaceship or something!

---
Hi all. Well, I was glad to hear from some of you after my last set of postings. Thanks! It helps me get over being homesick :)

Well, I left Spain for a few weeks and went to Brussels. WOW! I love this place. Here's some cool facts: Brussels is the 'Washington D.C.' of Europe, being the home of the European Union. While a majority of the country speaks French, about a third of the population speaks Flemish, or Dutch. Therefore, all of the streets are in both languages. Also, because this is truly an international city, English is widely spoken (thank goodness for me).

Did you know that Belgians eat more chocolate per capita than anyone else? They are also of course known for their beers and waffles! And yes, it's a good thing I am no longer there otherwise I would have to buy an extra seat from Delta for the plane trip home. The most succulent and delightful desserts (SORRY FRANCE)!

Well, From there I headed up north to Antwerp. For every chocolate shop there was in Brussels, there was a diamond and jewelry shop in Antwerp! I thought of all my O.C. Tanner friends while there. Antwerp was nice because everything was pretty much central. I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3 finally. It was in english but with subtitles in both French and Dutch hehehe!!!

I'll be sure to upload pics of both Brussels and Antwerp later this week, with additional commentary.

Today I arrived in Amsterdam, where I am meeting Tim for the week. He still has 2 more weeks with the study abroad kids from the University of Utah, but this is their summer break this week. oh yeah, here's his blog: http://www.timaeus3.blogspot.com/ if you are interested. He's a way better photographer and writer than I am!

On the train I met a nice Parisian guy named Omar. He was on his way up to Amsterdam for a job interview. He just graduated too! He said it's very difficult to get a job in France right now, especially if you are foreign schooled (he went to school in Lebanon as he is half French and Lebanese). Incidentally he has a friend in Salt Lake that I might possibly know! Small world. Well, after his interview I am meeting him for coffee and then we're heading to a museum possibly. I love meeting all these new people!

Abby Reusch...I am so emailing you our pics this week! Promise!

Cheers!

Patrick


P.S.
Hi MOM...I LOVE YOU.

P.P.S...Hi DAD...I LOVE YOU TOO....HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!

No comments: